[OM] day of space travel or the art of patience - and switching to diges

Subject: [OM] day of space travel or the art of patience - and switching to digest mode (kinda long)
From: jochen.schiffler@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jochen Schiffler)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 22:22:20 +0200
Zuiks and Zuikettes, I'm switching to digest mode.

Seems like I finally got a job after having finished my apprenticeship this
july. Right now I'm working/learning as a web designer (more or less) at a
small media/internet agency near Cologne. Fortunately(?) there's lots of
work to do so I spend quite some time in the office.

BTW my boss is an amateur photographer, too and we occasionaly talk but I
hardly took a roll for some weeks now.

Although I visited the 'Tag der Raumfahrt' (German Day of Space Travel) at
DLR (www.dlr.de) in Porz (Cologne) a week ago I didn't manage to fully shoot
one single roll of film. First I took a few shots of a Bundesgrenzschutz
helicopter (on the ground).
http://www.bundesgrenzschutz.de/allgem/ausstatt/luft/ec135.JPG - this is not
mine as the film is still in my (warning, OM content) OM-2S but it shows a
similar type.

Other than that the place was too crowded to take photographs of the
interesting things and I guess I just wasn't in a mood to take many shots in
crowded, dim lit laboratories and workshops. I also had no patience to wait
in a row of 150 people or so just to see one attraction or exhibit.
Unfortunately the underwater astronaut training was the most crowded and
possibly (I can't tell) most interesting subject. ESA's European Transonic
Windtunnel was impressive though... at least from the outside
(http://www.etw.de/home/airview.jpg).

Some yards off the site`s main road (in a much smaller building compared to
ETW) I was able to watch a demonstration of a smaller hypersonic windtunnel.
They run a test on a model of NASA's X-38 to learn more about streaming and
force issues. It was loud as hell when the pressured air from a house sized
tank outside the building streamed through a small hose into the test
chamber and from there into another (evacuated) tank.

Guess besides dozens of people in a small tent 'fighting' for free space
posters this was the highlight of the day. I even missed the ISS live
transmission (just heard it over the sound system installed all over the
site and recorded the commanders words 'Keep our planet save!' on my cell
phone :)

Unfortunately no rockets or other stunning stuff :(
The weather was fine though and it's a shame I wasn't more patient. Only a
god of patience knows what I really missed that day.

Cheers
Jochen