Re: [OM] Lightmeter cumbersome?

Subject: Re: [OM] Lightmeter cumbersome?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 00:16:26 -0500
At 05:01 9/15/02, Brian Swale wrote:
Hi Albert,

Is a light meter cumbersome? Depends on what your values are.

I have several cameras that take great photos (and some that are not so
great) and have no built-in light meter. (Koni-Omega, Mamiya Press, Linhof,
Contaflex, Exakta) and I have a Weston Master V (that's Roman numerals
for 5). These all require me to evaluate the light myself, and I use the Weston.

Brian:
Wow! Another Weston Master V owner (and user). Also have (and use) a Weston Master 9, and a Gossen-Ascor Flash Meter II. The Master V is a classic and was the zenith of that line of meters that spanned decades. The Master 9 comes in handy as a quasi spot meter, and is similar, larger, and it's powered by batteries. They've all been excellent meters.

Albert:
The benefit, the three "Big Guns" in light meters are Sekonic, Minolta and Gossen. I prefer the Gossen line of analog meters. Give me an analog needle I can look at instead of numbers to read on a digital readout. Must be how my brain works. The meaning of a needle position on a scale can be visually processed and comprehended faster than reading numbers sequentially on a display. Akin to the difference between serial and parallel ports on a computer and it's the same reason I have analog dial clocks and watches. A quick glance is all that's required to comprehend time of day.

-- John