Re: [OM] OM-4Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4Ti
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 13:54:24 -0700
Only eleven bodies... well, you're just getting started. Don't feel too
bad... <g>

I think metering has come some long way since the last of the OM bodies.
Cameras now have much more microprocessor power built into them, and
'1000-point matrix metering' is one of the causes (and results) of this
microprocessor power evolution. But I don't think the camera companies have
yet engineered out the necessity for intelligent evaluation of the scene
before pushing the button...

I'm guilty far too often of just 'point, focus, shoot' with my OM-4's, but
when I slow down and *look* I have a tool that helps figure out what the
image will come out like based on what I am seeing and how I set the camera.
The computer doesn't understand the image content, it sees only areas of
various brightness, and tries to relate those to stored algorithms of 'if
brighter here and here than there and there, set exposure 1-1/2 stops lower'
and such. These may not generate the vision that the photographer desires,
so intelligence is still needed.

The question then becomes - Does the camera provide the tools to apply
intelligence efficiently and effectively? Or does it 'get in the way' with
myriad menus, functions, settings, and overrides such that using it in a
creative way is an exercise in frustration? For my 'artistic' impulses, the
OM-4 offers the tools in an elegant and easy to apply form, without getting
in the way.
--

Jim Brokaw

on 9/17/02 2:29 AM, Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas at cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx