Re: [OM] Spanner wrenches from Micro-tools

Subject: Re: [OM] Spanner wrenches from Micro-tools
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:25:31 -0700
I bought the MicroTools 'interchangable tip' adjustable spanner. If I
recall, it was about $60 with five tips. Its of pretty good quality,
although I think there are better spanners if I were using it every day...
This tool is pretty good at getting things apart... I wish I was better at
getting things together! I've mostly used the round-point tips and the ~3mm
x 1mm flat tips.

Usually once you get a retaining ring loosened you can turn it without the
spanner. I use a small screwdriver in the notch, turn about 1/2 turn at a
time... I usually hold the lens in my hand, sometimes bracing against my
leg. Be sure the spanner tips don't slip, it will make a mess of the
retaining ring and tell the world "amateur tool-jockey messed around here".

I've used the 'nose grease' method, also Pond's cold cream (nice lemony
scent!), hydrogen peroxide (with and without ammonia), 91% rubbing alcohol,
Windex, white vinegar, etc. Of these solutions, the nose grease worked
pretty well, white vinegar worked OK, Ponds worked OK... the rest didn't
satisfy me very much. After a good rub-in of nose grease I used the alcohol
to clean off the remains, then a clean microfiber cloth seems to do a pretty
good job.

To hold the lens elements for reinstallation it is helpful to have a little
vinyl suction cup, also helps in removing them from the lens barrel. Have
fun, practice first on a cheap third-party lens before putting any of your
good Zuiko's under surgery!
--

Jim Brokaw