RE: [OM] How to Capture subtle colors

Subject: RE: [OM] How to Capture subtle colors
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:51:36 -0600
> 2. Most film scanners scan at at least 16 bit depth, for 64k levels of
> brightness input data for each color. That range is usually then
> downsampled to 8 bit, 256 level for output, although if your graphics
> software can handle it, the higher level of detail is available. In any
> case, the hardware and driver software don't lose any highlight or
> shadow detail unless you ask them to. I've tried 16 bit, as both my
> scanner and video system can do it, but haven't seen a real
> difference.

 Yeah, 16bpp -vs- 8bpp would add enough resolution to make all this stuff
pretty academic and low-contrast films win out. I'm basing the original idea
on having done scans of low-contrast prints, and wishing there was more
range in the image, because when I do expand it to get the contrast I want,
it just ends up looking pretty iffy because the lack of different levels in
the original means that mid-tone gradients end up being all stripy-looking.

 -- dan