Re: [OM] Totally OT: airplanes and humidity

Subject: Re: [OM] Totally OT: airplanes and humidity
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 16:56:25 -0700
In a message dated 9/17/2002 siddiq writes:

<< http://users2.ev1.net/~wesiddiquis/siddiq/takeoff.jpg

condensation visible starting leading edge of wing to midway down where it
dissipates! there's the OM content: 200/4 wide open w/ 2x-a tc slight crop
on the right, superia 400, om1n, handheld at 1/60 or 1/125 (i'm getting good
at handholding that sucker), >>

That is a very nice shot! Well done!

Those type of vapor trails also come off race car wings, well, used to
anyway before some of the new aero package rules cam along. It required high
humidity and cool temperatures, but it is very cool. I know I have some that
show the vapor trails somewhere, but am too lazy to look right now ;-)

Instead I'll insert this link instead (Gary E. has seen this one already):

http://www.motorsportvisions.com/spwc02_2/pages/spn02_119.htm

This was at the Sears Point NASCAR race a few months back. Normally I don't
even bother trying to catch the fly-overs that are typical before races,
because when I do my results generally suck, and it is often during the
National Anthem (and many track promoters frown on media credential holders
not honoring the flag--a respect thing that I totally understand). I was
pleased enough with this one to toss it in the event web gallery. The vitals
are as follows: OM-4T with Zuiko 350/2.8, guessing it was at f4 or 5.6
(sorry, I don't have time to record exposure data at the track), shutter on
auto (again I'm guessing, somewhere around 1/500-1/1000), Provia F 100 film,
frantically hand-held and panning with the Gitzo mono-pod fully extended and
dangling off the lens (I was getting ready to shoot the race start after
all). But somehow it made an interesting photograph, I thought. The ball of
vapor the plane carried around the center was huge. Kinda hard to make out
in this scan, the transparency shows the vapor ball much better. In the
victory podium ceremonies I was standing next to the flight crew who were
invited in, they were very gracious to be invited and hoped to be back next
year. There were also some really fast fighter jets that accompanied this
beast (F18s maybe? I dunno...)

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com