Re: [OM] OM-4Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4Ti
From: "om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:06:27 -0400
I echo your sentiments.  In fact, the advent of digital has dealt a blow to
many possible pictures and photographers that they don't even realize.  All
those people who have switched from color-negative/P&S to digital have gone
from and 8-stop range film to 5-6 with CCDs, depending on the sensor.  The
CCD's also saturate pretty quickly with high-contrast scenes, and pictures
get that "video" look in those burned-out highlights.

I have talked to several people who wonder why their digital cameras won't
do backlit or high-contrast scenes as good as their P&S's.  As usual, they
don't understand the mechanics.

The moral?  There's no substitute for understanding your tools (all of
them) and matching the right tool to the right situation.  Even though the
cameras have advanced quite a bit in the last 15 years, film technology
hasn't come as far.  Yes, color negative film is much more forgiving, but
B&W is still about the same, and transparancy film still requires +- 1/2
stop accuracy to get it right.

More people should study and understand the zone system, IMO. It still
applies if you're doing it "right": Expose for the shadows and develop for
the highlights.  (That is, make sure enough light gets onto the film to
record the darkest texture at Zone II/III, and then compact or expand the
tonal range to place textured highlights onto Zone VIII/IX.)  Of course,
this works best in large-format.  It also works in digital, but you have to
take two pictures and combine them.

Skip