[OM] Re: hoods

Subject: [OM] Re: hoods
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 08:41:46 -0500
"Not sure which hood you are talking about.  The petal hood on the 35-80/2.8
is round, extends out from the lens all around."

Winsor,

Not been fortunate to even see the 35-80 in real life, much less the hood.
All the petal hoods I've seen have four "blades" that form it, rounded to a
greater or lesser degree on the ends. They come together not at the end of
the shorter, side pieces, but at a point below that. In a quick shuffle
through the Oct. shuttebug, I could find only one example of a hood
(everybody likes to show that glass), in the Sigma ad on p. 23. Since it's
on a super to super-duper wide zoom, it's not as dramatic as on one that
goes out longer, but ye can see the corner notches clearly. you can also see
that the side pieces are not as long as the top and bottom, but could be if
it were a rectangular shade.

The other side to the argument is this: a round shade can only stick out as
far as the side pieces.

Bill Pearce