Re: [OM] Shhhhhhhhh...

Subject: Re: [OM] Shhhhhhhhh...
From: "Ian BManners" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 02:10:52 +1000 (EST)
Hi Tom

>Actually, it was 64KB of RAM.

That was in 1979/1980 before the advent of the IBM PC :-)
I think it was in relation to Boot Basic on various Altairs etc,
and is also why the boot Basic had a RAM access limit
of 64K.

The prerelease statement from IBM was that 128K would
do for many years to come.

Late 1982 Bill Gates made another statement about the 640K
limit, and why it wasnt justified to rearrange the hardware to
access anything above that limit.

Digital Equipment Corp on the other hand, released the
DEC Rainbow 100a which was designed to access 920K
of RAM with the help of a memory daughter board, the
Rainbow 100b could access 960K, every bit ended up
being counted with the advent of spreadsheets in the
hands of accountants :-)

DEC did this piece of magic by using address space to
access the graphics, while the IBM PC used a RAM allocation,
as did its BIOS.  (My memorys old on this but I think its sort
of right).

Cheers
Ian B Manners