Re: [OM] Spanner wrenches from Micro-tools

Subject: Re: [OM] Spanner wrenches from Micro-tools
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 21:06:06 +0200
On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:33:50 -0700
Bill Stanke <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Mr. Barber:
>
> Clint (as usual) has politely answered the questions you
> asked"straight", without editorializing on whether or not
> the basic endeavor is a good idea.

Clint and John both deserve much credit for their conduct
on the list. It cannot be said enough: thanks guys :)

> Seems to me that by the time you order the tools, buy the
> tools, and pay the postage on the tools that you should
> have more than the cost of sending the lens to a pro.
>
> Not to mention the 20 years of experience that is NOT
> included with your tool order.

The above depends. Clearly, the experience is not something
you can ever buy, and tools can be expensive too. Clints
posting has skillfully illustrated that with 20 years of
experience, all you really need to fix a camera is a
tweezer, a flat tire and a nose :)

However I estimate that, for me, insured shipping by some
trusted carrier to either John or Clint would amount to,
roughly, the same as buying the tools for the most common
fixes would. Yes, I live in Europe...no, I have not yet
found a good repair-shop for the OMs around here.

I've bought some tools, I've fixed a few things myself -
and have had much good advice from John and Clint on the
list on how to go about things. It's gratifying and it is
great fun - setting a price-tag on "fun" is really hard.

That said, there are things I would not attempt to fix
myself. Either because they might be hard (I would not,
e.g., try to open a zoom lens) or because it is equipment I
rely on to operate. That goes to the pro's, despite the
inconvenience and costs of shipping.

But the fun-part...I got around an old, beautiful, but
non-functioning mechanical P*ntax a while ago for free. For
the heck of it, I took it into pieces, cleaned and replaced
some parts and put it back together. It works, kinda...I am
not using it, but I had fun taking it to pieces and putting
it back together :) I am even proud that I managed to
remanufacture some broken piece with only a dremel and some
scrap metal...All fun - and something that I would hardly
consider worth sending off to be repaired anyways.

> I've found that my car, lawnmower, and camera gear are
> all happier if I don't work on them myself.

I ain't got a car, I ain't got a lawn...so all my tinkering
has to go on the cameras :)

> Of course as I write this I'm contemplating adding DOS to
> my Windows NT machine, so I can dual boot into eith DOS
> or NT.  Why, it's a simple sixteen step procedure...

Well, I am not smart enough to use Windows. Seeing how my
friends and colleagues have to do all sort of interresting
things, and even - them being smart people and all -
remaining baffled at times, has scared me off. Stupid
people like me need a simpler and more user-friendly
system, such as an Unix :)

> My $.02. YMMV.

Everyone to his own. In any case, it is nice to have guys
like Clint and John around -  for advice and for fixing
those things that require 20 years of experience, a flat
tire and a nose...:)

Best

--thomas

  Thomas Heide Clausen