Re: [OM] Totally OT: airplanes and humidity

Subject: Re: [OM] Totally OT: airplanes and humidity
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 06:36:18 +0100
Cc: siddiq <iddibhai@xxxxxxx>
Risky, this email, given we have an aero engineer in our midst ;-).
As the pilot rotates for takeoff (pitches up) he is doing it to
increase the angle of attack, and therefore the the lift, to get off
the ground.  Increasing the lift is a function of reducing the
pressure across the top of the wing.  Reduced pressure means reduced
temperature and reduced capacity for water vapour - so it condenses.
The shape you can see of the condensed vapour represents the pressure
pattern across the wing and indicates where the lift is being
generated.  Imperfections in wing shape mean that that lift is
subject to spanwise flow (towards the tips) and the reaction between
low pressure over the wing and higher beneath cause the vortex on
each tip.  The air in the vortices is low makes them visible when
conditions are right.

I have just quit my browser, and I forgot to look at the runway
numbers, but 700ft to go is a bit tight in my book.  Runway numbers
normally indicate thousands of feet to go in the direction you are
facing.

Chris

p.s. nice photo by the way.  cb