Re: [OM] [OT] Doin' the Airbag Bash

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Doin' the Airbag Bash
From: siddiq <iddibhai@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 19:35:16 -0700
9/22/2002 6:28:21 PM, Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

><paramedic mode>
>
>Anyone who depends solely on their airbag to protect them in an accident
>will find out, the hard way, that it's no substitute for a seat belt.
<snip>

which is one of the really stupid follys of the NHTSA regulation: to save a
50th percential UNbelted dummy. The force required to set off the airbags to
meet that requirment is basically why so many
injuries occur to BELted passengers at lower collisions speeds where just a
seatbelt would more than suffice; that leaves the airbags for high speed
collisions where they would supplement the belts
tremendously. I say lower the reg to make them safe for BELted people, and if
someone can't be responsible enough to put on the seatbelt, let Darwin deal
with 'em. Sorry to sound harsh.

Apologies for the rant, I hope this is the last i'll say on the topic lest i
start another holy war. Bottom line, we're all glad John's OK. Let's go shoot
some TOPE!