[OM] Some questions about macro shooting

Subject: [OM] Some questions about macro shooting
From: The Bobbs <thebobbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 22:10:45 -0600
Hi All,

Some questions about macro photography.  My pardons if this has been discussed
recently.  I did some searching of the archives (haven't been keeping up with
the mail list in some time) but didn't really find an answer.

Goal: Shooting insects, flowers, etc at 1:1 to 1:2 ratios.

Equipment: A relatively inexpensive Vivitar 100mm f3.5 macro lens, with matched
1:1 close-up lens.  Used in combination with either OM2n or OM-2000.  Both with
"stock" split-prism focus screen.

Problem: At 1:1, I often find it difficult to avoid "dark semi-circle"
syndrome. You know, where the top or bottom half goes dark and wiggle as you
might, you can't quite seem to keep your eye at that exact point where it stays
clear.  I don't seem to get it as bad at 1:2 or smaller ratios, but at the
limit, is quite a problem.  I'm surprised by it, as I wouldn't think the
matched close-up ring would be robbing much, if any light.

I really prefer the working range I get with the 100mm, so using my 50mm with
tubes is usually not desired.  I'm expecting answers along these lines:

a) Well duh!  That's why we all bought the VWXmm, fY.Z macro lense!  Just to
avoid that problem!  And to empty our bank accounts.  :-)

b) You need to be using focus screen XYZ.  (Hmm, bear in mind I can't switch
the screen on in the OM-2000 and for all other shooting, I really like the
stock, split prism in the OM2n.  The thought of my fumbling fingers switching
these screens in and out leaves me mighty cold ...

c) Learn to focus with the collar and ground glass.  You don't really need the
split image.  (Hmm, I've not had good luck here.  My eyesight isn't exactly the
keenest, even with glasses).

Finally, a related question.  Are there any "reasonably cheap" (< $50) tripod
attachments that would help with small movements for this kind of work?  Trying
to bump the tripod up or back by an inch or less is really an annoying
experience.  I've seen the fancy rail setup, but that seems more like a copy
stand kind of thing, not something easily tossed in the fanny pack and taken on
a hike.

I enjoy trying to get these kinds of shots, but am somewhat frustrated by the
exertion taken to get focus with the macro, which in all other respects meets
my needs.

Stuart