RE: [OM] Some questions about macro shooting

Subject: RE: [OM] Some questions about macro shooting
From: bsandyman@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 14:21:55 +0000
Well I have opinions on this one, but take them with a grain of salt as there
are people on the list that are better.

At 3.5 you begin to wander into the land of too dark for the split ring. I have
one in my OM2n as well. I wonder if the 100 f3.5 doesn't actually get darker as
you extend into macro. I would be surprised if it did not, but never having
used one, I don't know.

So I am guessing that by the time you extend AND use an accesory (the Matched
Close-up lens) well, you have seen the results yourself.

Now does this close up lens screw into the filter threads, or does it go
between the lens and the camera body? The reason I ask is that the
phrase "close-up lens" is usualy used for lenses that screw into the filter
threads, and "matched" is usually used for the converters that go between the
lens and the body.

As you might guess the kind that fits in the filter threads robs much less
light then the kind that sits in between the lens and the body, which usualy
take at least a stop.

A) there are lenses that can get you 1:1 without the accesory, and you might
consider getting a 100mm version of this. Start by looking at the options on e-
sif. I am sure other list members can make better suggestions then I.

B) The obvious solution to your focussing screen dilema is to get a second
OM2n. One has your stock split ring screen and the other has your macro screen.
It seems some of the people who are best at Macro on the list prefer ground
glass all the way across. I am like you and prefer the split ring, but
sometimes you can't have it.

C) See B

And now we will talk about my favorite setup which kinda resolves some of your
concerns, but which also borders on Macro heresy.

I use a zoom lens. My two lenses of choice are a Zuiko 35-70 and a tokina 28-
80. I tend to use the Tokina more. Why? Because you can use the zoom to "focus"
on the macro subject. (This is an answer to your micro adjustment on a tripod
question.) I also use a set of Vivitar close-up lenses of the type that fit
into the filter threads. Let me tell you that 70mm close-up filters *will* set
you back some pretty change, but I like 'em.

Why is this heresy? Zoom are generally derided for there lack of sharpness and
speed compared to primes. Also close up lenses (filter types anyway) are
generally regarded as poor performing lenses that you place in front of your
good lens. Whatever distortions they have then get magnified by your lens. Very
few (if any) are multi coated, thus introducing the issue of lens flare.

In your case, your already in the hole with a 3.5 macro lens. Zooms aren't much
worse then this, and by using the screw in filters lenses (as opposed to tele
or macro converters) you won't loose too much light. Second, sharpness is
irrelavant if you can't focus.

As an alternative you can not use the converter your using (if you are using
one) and try a set of close-up filters. A set for reasonable sized filters is
failry inexpensive (~$15-$20) so it is hard to go wrong even if you decide you
don't like them.

>Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 22:10:45 -0600
>From: The Bobbs <thebobbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Some questions about macro shooting

>Hi All,

>ome questions about macro photography.  My pardons if this has been discussed
>recently.  I did some searching of the archives (haven't been keeping up with
>the mail list in some time) but didn't really find an answer.

snip ...