Re: [OM] Digital photography article

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital photography article
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 09:33:41 -0700
In a message dated 9/23/2002 Mickey Trageser writes:

<< Nice article in the latest Photographic that highlights a photographer
who relies on OM-4T for film and E-20 for digital. That was refreshing. >>

Hmm, sounds familiar. Except my combo is double down-rev. ;-) (OM-4T and an
E-10.) Works for me. At the Laguna Seca American Le Mans Series (ALMS) event
this past weekend I was shooting away with the E-10 and a guy walks up
asking about it. He tells me that he had just bought an E-20 and had several
E-10s he uses in the studio with great results. (He was shooting with
ancient manual focus Nik*n stuff BTW, and he also said was afraid to try
working with something so new to him.) Turns out he was a SPEED World
Challenge Touring category team owner. (And yes, he took a card and wanted
to see any results I got of his cars.) For those curious, here's a link to
the (slowly growing over the course of this week) gallery from the weekend,
all E-10 digital shots there so far:
http://www.motorsportvisions.com/lsalms02/index.htm The majority of these
have no post-processing (yet) except for automatic image size reduction in
the Photoshop automatic web gallery builder.

Today is an interesting day for digital. The new 14 megapixel full-frame
(Nik*n mount) Kodak DSLR is being introduced and I just saw the first
pictures of the "OlyDak" (at http://www.dpreview.com) and it looks a lot
like an E-10/20 in prototype form.

However, I was approached yesterday by the Brembo brake company for an Audi
race car image for a poster--all I will submit for output that size will be
from Provia F film images taken with my "antique" OM-4T (I'll be scanning
like a maniac to submit images with finger crossed ASAP.)

An aside, knowing that I have to do a lot of people shooting at the upcoming
banquet and concours at the Audi Car Club of North America National event in
just under two weeks from now, I finally plunked down for a FL-40 flash for
the E-10. While I realize TTL bells and whistles are really not necessary (I
have been making do with my T-32 on the E-10 for some time now) it sure is
cool to have all shutter speed TTL fill flash that works really well a lot
of the time. Indoors using the FL-40 bounced and the internal E-10 flash
combined is a great (and semi-brainless) people shooting combo. Where I fell
short at the National event last year (in my eyes only, obviously since I'm
going back I didn't fail too badly) was in the indoor people flash shots.
Since the reproduction is small and at magazine quality, the E-10 with FL-40
seems like the perfect tool for the job to me. It is a pretty amazing combo.
Obsolete already, but still a great tool for the job.

Make do with what you have, don't worry about obsolescence, and have fun!

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com