Re: [OM] more macro questions

Subject: Re: [OM] more macro questions
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 23:11:06 -0500
Mike,
Effective aperture is a function of subject magnification on film. That is determined by total lens extension from infinity focus and the lens' focal length. The equation for this is sometimes referred to as the "bellows factor":

  f = lens focal length in millimeters
  x = bellows or extension tube length in millimeters
  y = lens extension from lens focusing helical,
      if focused closer than infinity
  A = aperture

  For exposure compensation by adjusting shutter speed:
    Extension Exposure Time Factor = [(f + x + y) / f]^2
    This is similar to compensation for filters.
    Multiply metered shutter speed by this factor.

  For exposure compensation by adjusting lens aperture:
    Extension Exposure Aperture Factor = f / (f + x + y)
    Multiply metered aperture by this factor.

  For exposure compensation in EV:
    Extension EV Compensation = 2*log10[(f + x + y) / f] / log10(2)

  Effective aperture using aperture markings on lens:
    (Effective A) = A * [(f + x + y) / f]^2

I have more discussion of exposure compensation when using lens extensions on my web site here:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/science/scienceexposure.html#Macrophotography

IMPORTANT:
Remember that compensation is *only* required if metering using a hand-held ambient light or flash meter. If you meter TTL, or control a flash TTL, the camera body's metering will automagically compensate as it's measuring the light through the lens. I didn't get into using these compensation equations routinely until I started using studio strobes, the output of which cannot be controlled by the OM-4 or OM-2S with their TTL/OTF metering. They can only trigger the strobes. If they're operated in TTL/OTF mode with a flash such as the T-32, on or off camera (using a TTL cord), manual compensation is not required.

-- John