Re: [OM] Some questions about macro shooting

Subject: Re: [OM] Some questions about macro shooting
From: The Bobbs <thebobbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 22:45:34 -0600
Hi,

Thanks for the answers ... some follow-up:

>Well, there are certainly screens specifically designed to deal with
>this problem. The thought of one body, either existing or acquired, with
>the proper screen installed and dedicated to macro crosses my mind. Of
>course, you ask for a solution that involves no cost and no
>inconvienience, a tough call when you are up against the laws of optical
>physics.

Well, I'm not opposed to spending some dollars (but not $300) to solve this.
This "dual body" solution had occurred to me, and now that I'm confirming I've
got as few options as I feared, I can reconsider it.

What would be "the" screen to have?  Is there a concensus on which one?

>It costs money, but you might consider the Varimagni. It gives 1.2x and
>2.5x  magnification of the viewfinder image, which makes focusing on the
>matte surface easier and includes diopter correction to assist eyesight.

This sounds very promising.  Have folks had good personal experience with the
Varimagni and the standard prism while doing macro work?

>If possible, increasing the light on the subject should take care of
>most of your problems. Oly makes special TTL flashes for just this use,
>but they cost money.

Now here's the one part I don't understand.  I was shooting in full sunlight,
so I don't think more light would help ...

For somebody else that asked what the "matched close up lens" really was --
sorry to mix my terms.  It is a close-up lens that screws on to the filter ring
in front of the front element.  It's matched in the sense that it is sold
specifically with that lens and is intended to specifically provide the 1:1 at
absolute close focus.

Again, thanks for the explanation as to why the split prism was going dark on
me as I neared 1:1.  I don't claim to understand the optical issues involved
but the explanation given makes sense.

Also, another responder mentioned zooms as a means of solving the minor close
adjustments.  Thanks, that may be acceptable in more circumstances then I'm
usually considering, so I need to give it a try again.

Looking forward to feedback on which screens are best and also experiences you
all may have had with the varimagni and the standard split prism while doing
macro.

Stuart