[OM] PayPal Scam ALERT!!

Subject: [OM] PayPal Scam ALERT!!
From: "om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:43:12 -0400
Boy, this one is sneaky.  I got an email from Paypalupdate.com today with a
request to update my personal info because of some system problem.  But I
think it's a scam to harvest PalPal passwords.  It shows a clickable URL to
https://www.paypal.com in the email, but the actual URL is to
http://paypalsys.com, which looks EXACTLY like a PayPal site.  And PayPal's
site doesn't have any news like this.  Be careful with this one.

The HTML and a screen shot are below

Skip

URGENT: PayPal System Problems

Dear PayPal User,

Today we had some trouble with one of our computer systems. While the
trouble appears to be minor, we are not taking any chances. We decided to
take the troubled system offline and replace it with a new system.
Unfortunately this caused us to lose some member data. Please follow the
link below and log into your account to make sure your information is not
affected. Account balances have not been affected.

Because of the inconvenience this causes we are giving all users that
repair their missing data their next two incoming transfers for free! You
will pay no fees for your next two incoming transfers*.

http://www.skipwilliams.adahost.com/data/paypal-scam.jpg
http://www.skipwilliams.adahost.com/data/paypal-scam.htm