[OM] Film recorders

Subject: [OM] Film recorders
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 08:52:08 -0500
A search of the dreaded auction site should find some of these, as indeed,
the use of LCD projectors has displaced work from labs. They are not small,
but sometimes can be cheap, as the supply of used ones might well outstrip
demand by now.

What they are not is simple to operate. You will go through a lot of film
getting it set up, and will have to buy a supply of a single emulsion.

The good news is that they are not like most computer equipment, an older
machine may be as good as a brand new model. This phenomena is the same with
the digital printers that write to photo film, there are no six month
product cycles.

The local lab that I use has two that are at least five years old (I forget
the name) that will write to 35, or 4x5. They are crt machines, I think, but
I do know that they are the same machines that Pixar used to write Toy Story
to film. I am unaware of any quality machine that writes as a single
exposure. These use a spot on the crt moving fast, much as a flying spot
scanner for TV film we used years ago (does TV still use those amazing
machines?).

Just as there are laser and LED printers, I would suppose the same would
exist for film recorders, but as this isn't a part of my regular needs, I'm
not real up to date on this subject.

The ones I'm familiar with are not real fast, but once set up a whole roll
can be exposed whilst doing something else.

Bill Pearce