Re: [OM] "I am so, like, totally, not impressed."

Subject: Re: [OM] "I am so, like, totally, not impressed."
From: Andre Goforth <andregoanon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:06:56 -0700 (PDT)

--- Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

< Where I see a potentially huge advantage is the size
of the glass. If a 35mm equivalent of a 600/2.8 can be
done at the size of a 35mm 300/2.8 and
image quality is comparable (or better) this system
concept could be a huge winner for sports and nature
photographers who have to carry their gear long
distances or for long periods of time.> ---SNIP

Excellent point! The petite Zuiko 600m weighs 6 pounds
plus 3oz. You can't(shouldn't?) use a light tripod,
such as a Cullman or others rated to 4 lbs. When
marching through the bush you have to be your own pack
animal. The trend these days seems to be to use 300
lens and make up for the lack of telephoto power by
patient stealth and hiding in blinds.

--- Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In a message dated 9/24/2002 Tom Scales writes:
>
> << It's the E-20 lens in the mockup.  Maybe in a
> removeable mount, but every
> single feature matches.  Too big a coincidence. >>
>
> That was my first impression too. But on the top of
> the lens is a (probably
> fake) window with a mechanical focus distance
> display. The zoom and focus
> rings on the lens look E-10/20 all the way though,
> including the fly by wire
> focus ring (which I think works well BTW).
>
> I seriously doubt that the first finished product(s)
> will look exactly like
> this test mule mockup. If the body is the size of an
> E series camera with
> LIPO Grip it would still be petite compared to the
> latest offerings from the
> big two or three.
>
> Where I see a potentially huge advantage is the size
> of the glass. If a 35mm
> equivalent of a 600/2.8 can be done at the size of a
> 35mm 300/2.8 and image
> quality is comparable (or better) this system
> concept could be a huge winner
> for sports and nature photographers who have to
> carry their gear long
> distances or for long periods of time. What is
> exciting is the open
> lensmount design that could be the dawn of the
> "screwmount digital era"
> still. (Of course we all know where that old screw
> mount went for 35mm so
> maybe that's not such a good thing.)
SNIP