Re: [OM] Answers about the Olydak....

Subject: Re: [OM] Answers about the Olydak....
From: "om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 15:19:09 -0400
Pixel count is limited by the Kodak-supplied CCD.  But the competition is
only at 6 MxPx, which isn't much different.  You can't compare the new,
full-frame cameras, they're a different animal.  Look at the new Canon G3,
it didn't up the pixel count at all.  Canon just reworked the form factor a
little, sweetened up the features, and introduced a faster processor, which
should help the whole system operate better.

There is something to be said of the tortoise approach, as long as the
tortoise doesn't get run over while crossing the road.  If O can bring out
the camera it's promising, with reduced sizes, with reduced dust, at a
competitive price, there is still a lot of room to succeed.  Remember, the
high-end model makers are in a feature & pixel-count-driven hampster wheel
race.  They may not be making any money at this yet.

Also, IMO the performance of P&S and Pro-Sumer (<$1000) digital cameras
leaves a lot be desired once you get outsise of very typical photography.
This whole strategy still might work.

Keep your fingers crossed.  And keep those Zuikos.

Skip