[OM] From the Photokina

Subject: [OM] From the Photokina
From: "marc simon" <marc.simon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 00:38:27 +0200
Hi all,
I'm back from the Photokina and I've seen the famous "object" and talked
about it with the Technical Product Manager of the Olympus Belgian importer.
As I said him that the lens looks like a normal 35mm one he said me that's
only a "Style Object" probably even not functioning just to show how the
product could be and the product will probably be rather different. I hope
so as this one is rather large. He said me that there is nothing to expect
before the PMA. I asked him about an adapter for our lenses and he answered
he have no details about that but he said that the lenses for the product
will probably be rather different from ours as there are some limitations
for example concerning the resolution around 75 l/mm with our lenses and
must be higher for the new sensor. He gave me a German Scientific Test
report about the comparison of some current 6 Mega Pixels cameras: Canon
D60, Fuji S2, Nikon D100 and the E20. I haven't read it in details but it
appear that the current lenses are at their limits there is even the case of
a lens giving more resolution in the corners than in the center ! So to go
further with a sensor with more pixels new lenses must be made ! Not a good
news for us sorry about that  :(((
So we must wait and see. About the format 4:3 it seems that a lot of
companies will introduce more and more Digital minilabs and especially Kodak
so perhaps a connection here...I've asked to someone from Kodak but he have
no news about the Olydak...
About Kodak, I've seen and manipulate the new 14MPixels DSC Pro 14n nice
tool not so big and the price doesn't look astronomical (around 5000 € in
Belgium ) fortunately I have no Nikon lenses so I'm not tempted :)
At the opposite the price of the Canon is very high : 10000 € ! but I've
seen a very large picture more than 1.5 meter high a fraction of the visage
of a lady...gorgeous (the picture of course !).
So here are my news at this time film still rules for us !
regards
marc
namur
Belgium