Re: [OM] Meeting Maitani

Subject: Re: [OM] Meeting Maitani
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 13:03:30 -0500
At 12:19 9/26/02, Tim wrote:

And he could tell us about the morons that have taken
over.
-Tim

Interesting thought, but I doubt very seriously he would categorize them as such. Nor would I. Those that operate a large corporation do not get there by being morons. Their personal deliberation and decision-making processes are very nearly always exceptionally sound, and they're mentally very quick.

However, as in the U.S. they can and do make decisions based on inaccurate and/or incomplete information resulting what looks to be moronic behavior. I've worked with people in the Asia-Pacific region of the corporation I work for. It's an entirely different culture which works extensively on consensus building and "group-think" first. Even in those situations when a manager has already made a decision, they will go through this process to "lead" the rest to the same conclusions, although it's done very carefully under the trappings of group discovery. This harmony is very, very important to them and has cultural roots. There's no such thing as a renegade or rogue in their organizations. Took me a while to become accustomed to it. As much as it can be a strength by ensuring everyone is on the same music and interpretation of it, it can also be a weakness that discourages questioning the "group-think" when it begins to become evident the organization is headed in the wrong direction, if the person in charge cannot (or refuses) to recognize it pretty much on their own. All one can really do is toss up some gentle hints, try to point toward or put a spotlight on a graceful path out (so there's no loss of face) and hope. That's been my experience with their culture, which is very different from ours.

Thus, IMHO I don't believe Maitani would *ever* discuss something like you're talking about, most especially with strangers. His culture simply does not allow it.

Still . . . an interesting thought.