Re: [OM] Meeting Maitani

Subject: Re: [OM] Meeting Maitani
From: suchismit@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 19:38:34 +0000

> Interesting thought, but I doubt very seriously he would categorize them as
> such.  Nor would I.

 I didn't expect that to be taken literally. It was
 just the venting of my frustrations and disappontment
 with Oly.

>Those that operate a large corporation do not get
> there by being morons.

True. But the people who run the corporation at any
given time are not necessarily the people who made
that corporation large and financially successful. Its
far easier to take over the reigns of an existing corporation
than it is to build one. There are many(at least in the US)
that were behemoths for decades but went under because
they were taken over by bad management.
  I am not suggesting that Olympus as a company was
founded by 'morons', far from it. Their spectacular
success in the world of microscopy/endoscopy and other
medical technologies will attest to that. But sometimes
decisions, despite being based on consenus, can be bad.
It can be bad because it was flawed to begin with and
the others agreed because they were 'led' to it, or it
can be bad because its 'badness' eluded every one. But
bad decision is a bad decision. Much like a game
of chess, where a move that appears to be fine with nothing
obviously wrong with it, perhaps even brilliant, can
cost the game 20 moves later. When one grandmaster
loses to another it doesn't make the loser a moron,
just that one didn't see what the other did.

> Thus, IMHO I don't believe Maitani would *ever* discuss something like
> you're talking about, most especially with strangers.  His culture simply
> does not allow it.
>
> Still . . . an interesting thought.

Well again, with the Japanese being fanatically polite,
and sometimes even annoyingly so, we can't expect
Maitani to 'talk' about Olympus's  present management.
The point is that he may have major differences of
opinion with them. And he did in the past too. If you
read about him on the Maitani_fan site, he often had
to convince senior management to accept a new idea.

-Tim