RE: [OM] Ultimate Travel Camera

Subject: RE: [OM] Ultimate Travel Camera
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 12:27:42 +1000
I concede to seeing travel shots as capturing moments -
snapshots/happysnaps - and thus the content more important
than absolute sharpness (or low-light ability), because when
I think travel, I think Bali, Fiji and the outback,
where light is generally not much of a problem).
Thus, having used a Sigma 28-200 on my dad's Pentax
MZ5n (quite a nice camera by the way) for a weekend
of jaunting with Melbourne friends around Sydney, and
getting perfectly acceptable results (including blowups
that weren't as sharp as they could be, but were certainly
acceptable), I'd be tempted into one of those "superzooms"
With an appropriately sized camera it's a tight little
package, while being quite versatile.

For "people travel" (that is, visiting friends and
doing stuff in all types of situations with them, including
perhaps building-tours, where the light can be iffy and
tripods are right out, and where my pictures are mostly people),
I'd probably go with the 50 f1.4. (presuming a lack of
flash, which I'm usually averse to and more so while
travelling due to "added bulk")

For travel with a heap of landscape and bushwalking, I'd
be looking at the 35 f2.8 (actually 2, but I've got a f2.8).

Forced into absolutes for *all* types of travel, I'd probably
go with Wayne and say 35 f2.

Probably, with my entire kit, the perfect camera is the one
I bought because it came out the year I was born I believe,
and that's the 35RC (of course, I don't have either an
XA or a Mju-II) :-)

...and when you all post your suggestions, I'll change my
mind as often as I repack my bag before travel <g>

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz