Re: [OM] madness! thinking of ditching an OM for a c@non?

Subject: Re: [OM] madness! thinking of ditching an OM for a c@non?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 16:08:23 -0700
I won't throw any rocks, but if you're going to look at spending the
equivalent of the value of a clean OM-1n on a pocketable rangefinder, you
should consider (in addition to the Canonet QL-17-GIII) the Olympus 35-RD,
the Minolta HiMatic 7sII, and the Konica Auto-S3 as well. All are small
rangefinders, feature wide-range leaf shutters (to 1/4 second or slower) and
fast lenses (f1.7 for all I think). If you don't need as fast a lens,
consider the Olympus 35-RC.

Less pocketable, but probably a better camera overall than the Canonet is
the Olympus 35 SP. There were other cameras in that 'slightly larger' size
category, not 'pocketable' but very good cameras... If I estimate that your
budget will be about $150 you should be able to get a very clean example of
any of these cameras. A CLA for any of these cameras won't cost all that
much less than the camera, however.

The other thing, when you set one of these down next to an OM-1 with a
50/1.8 mounted, they aren't all *that* much smaller than the OM's...
--

Jim Brokaw