Re: [OM] madness! thinking of ditching an OM for a c@non?

Subject: Re: [OM] madness! thinking of ditching an OM for a c@non?
From: mms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 16:26:47 -0400

Acer

I'd go with the Canonet, and you should be able to find a working one cheap.
There's no need to get a CLA; in my experience the shutters hold up even after
years of storage.  The only speed I've ever had one "hang" on is 1/4 sec.  If
it gums up, spend $50 on another one and keep shooting.  Use the 675 hearing
aid cells.

One nice thing about the G-III (and all Canon "QL" cameras) is the quick-load
take-up spool, and the trick advance: once the spool has grabbed the leader,
just wind 3 or 4 times--no need to press the shutter--and the advance stops on
a dime at frame #1. You'll have burned half the new roll before the guy across
the street has re-assembled his Leica.

The rangefinder spot is not the greatest, but you'll get better with practice,
and the viewfinder optics can be cleaned if you're careful. One thing you'll
probably have to re-do is the foam.  There's a lot of it on the back door and
it can be a sticky mess.  What else . . . it fits my hands better than the
Konica S2/S3 or Olympus 35SP (too big) and the Olympus RC and Rollei 35 (too
small).  The wind/shutter is  q u i e t .  Great little camera.

Morgan