Re: [OM] madness! thinking of ditching an OM for a c@non?

Subject: Re: [OM] madness! thinking of ditching an OM for a c@non?
From: The Butler Family <butlerfamly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 13:38:55 -0700
Gary Edwards graciously offered:
Acer,

I've got a G-IIIQL in fair shape, if you'd like to borrow it for a while

before making such a big step.
<snip>

Siddiq,

I have to agree with most of what everyone has said already.  I was at a
local camera show a while ago and was fortunate to be standing with Jim
Brokaw when I mentioned I would like an Olympus RD but the cost had me
concerned.  Jim pointed out that the C@non and Min0lt@s were as good but
much more plentiful.  Eventually we came across one the seller was
willing to let go for $40.  It needed foam and a battery compartment
cleaning and now it works like a dream.  The foam replacement went very
smoothly and was easier then the OM-1.  I have since cleaned the view
finder and added the dedicated flash and I am still into it for less
than Half what a clean OM-1n goes for.  Other than the mercury battery,
the only concern I would have, if it weren't a common issue with Leaf
Shutters, is the 1/500 speed is a little slow more like 1/350.

I would go to the local camera swap and find one of the cameras Jim
listed that needs a little help.  There are many that know how to bring
them to "Parade Rest" and back again but I think you could bring a
mercury battery ( or equivalent) with you and just insure the meter
still works.  Jim has become a real authority on some of these old Range
Finders.  But they need not cost a arm and a leg.

The list has again shown the generosity of the close knit neighborhood
it is.  You should seriously consider Gary's offer,  RF's are a
different breed than the Basic SLR.  But the 40mm F 1.7 on most of these
cameras are as good or better than the XA and nearly a full stop
faster.  I have found a spot in my bag both of them.

Mike Butler
Dublin, California