Re: [OM] Cbc, cbf

Subject: Re: [OM] Cbc, cbf
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 01:12:37 -0500
At 12:08 9/29/02, Garth Wood wrote:

Not surprising. The latest generations of these viruses "harvest" e-mail address books and in some cases e-mail bodies (particularly those of you benighted enough to use Microsoft Outlook ;-) ), and then insert random e-mail addresses into both the "To:" and "From:" fields. About all we can say for sure is that the virus attempt came from someone who has both John Lind's e-mail address and the List address in his/her e-mail app, somewhere. I also got a separate copy in my Inbox (I use Eudora Pro), so whoever the unwitting third party is, he/she also has my e-mail address somewhere.

This limits the potential vectors to about, oh, half a billion people planetwide. :-/

Garth

My suspicion exactly. Indeed, my AV software just snared a "KLEZ" variant sent directly to me from exactly the same domain while downloading the mail a few minutes ago. Deleted the attached executable KLEZ worm file as the mail was being downloaded; never got any further than the spooled-up mail. I receive at least one per week . . . mixed in with the never-ending deluge of "get rich instantly" scam-SPAM.

-- John