[OM] contact print update

Subject: [OM] contact print update
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 11:56:07 -0500
Several weeks ago, I mentioned that I had ordered one of Lenswork's silver
prints. I have just received it, and here is my opinion.

The full info is supplied with the print. It is a contact print from an
actual sized HALFTONE negative, about a 425 line screen. this is different
from a print from a continuous tone actual size neg. It is quite good,
actually, especially considering the 19 USD pricetag, but it is not as good
as an actual print from a 4x5 or larger neg. I would call it equivalent to a
print from an average 6x6 neg, or a remarkable print from a 35 neg. It has
decent blacks, although a bit less dramatic than from a continuous tone neg,
and the highlights lack "sparkle."

In other words, I would encourage you to buy at these prices, but would be
reluctant to buy those priced in the 79-99 dollar range. It came with a $15
coupon, and I think I'll try one of their gravures next.

I will continue to try to get the info about making your own negs from
digital files.

Bill Pearce