[OM] Olympus C-4000 and flashes

Subject: [OM] Olympus C-4000 and flashes
From: The Bobbs <thebobbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 22:36:27 -0600
All,

Pardon my ignorance, I haven't been reading the list for most of the last year
or so.  Is it considered bad manners to ask questions about the Olympus
digitals?  Even if you're _not_ talking about the E-x0 models?

I'll assume (for the moment!) that it's not.  I'm sure I'll get correction if
I'm off base.

Two questions really:

a) C-4000 autofocus

Any experiences from the crowd on the recent C-4000?  Seems to offer a nice set
of features (for a mid-range consumer digicam) at a bargain price.  I am
curious as to whether folks have any comments on auto focus speed/quality for
it.  More to the point -- is the autofocus on the C-4000 at least as good as
the 35mm film point/shoots that Oly makes?  (ala Stylus Zooms)

b) flashes -- FL-40 and third party

In theory, the C-4000 can be made to take a flash other than than the FL-40 on
it's external hotshoe.  But it appears (from what I've read) to require some
kind of adapter.  From the Olympus web pages, I find it very difficult to tell
exactly what is required.  Anybody actually connected up a non-FL-40 to an
olympus digicam?

It then occurred to me to wonder if anybody had yet tried using an FL-40 with
an OM?  Obviously, TTL metering won't work, but presumably basic flash function
would and it might prove to be a better solution for folks living in both film
and digital camps than trying to adapt a third party or T-series flash to their
digital camera.

Odd questions I know, but part of the allure of the C-4000 is that it is one of
the cheaper digicams to offer external flash option.  But if you end up
spending nearly as much as the camera for an external flash solution, or it
can't be made to work usefully, the advantage is not really there.

And no, for the purpose I have in mind, I do not want an E-10 or 20, nor the
ultra-zooms, nor a 5050.  The Canon G3 and Minolta 7Hi might also look
attractive -- if they were half the price. :-)

Stuart