[OM] contact prints

Subject: [OM] contact prints
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 07:22:54 -0500
"Can anyone figure out what the pixel count would have to be to support a
halftone at that line density? The highest press-printed images I've ever
seen used a 200-line screen. "
the general rule of thumb in the printing industry is to double the line
screen, so 850dpi would be the answer.

"Every once in a while the old Modern
Photography would publish some 'high quality' press-printed images using
that and the results were noticably improved over their usual pages. I
expect 425-line screen would look pretty good, but I can't translate it into
a pixel count."
I've never heard of a book using a 425 line screen. I understand there are
some art books in the three hundreds. A screen that fine would be a real
problem for the pressmen.

Bill Pearce