[OM] - Brighter screens and meter readings (reprise)

Subject: [OM] - Brighter screens and meter readings (reprise)
From: flowerside@xxxxxxxxxxxx ()
Date: 2 Oct 2002 09:19:20 -0000
Hi all!

It's worldwide (!) agreed that brighter screens (Beatties, or OM series 2) do
affect meter readings in the OM-1 / OM-2 (the latter, in manual mode only).

This is due to the way those two cameras read the incoming light (that is, on
the focusing plane and not on the film plane, unless the OM-2 is used in Auto
mode).

In particular, OM-2 in Auto mode does give uncorrect readings while the
pictures are *correctly* exposed.

What I'd like to know is why the same principle shouldn't apply to all the
other OM cameras with OTF light measurement, which still need to estimate the
exposure timings *before* taking the actual picture when in "Auto" mode
(OM-F/G, OM-40, OM-4/4Ti).

All this wondering just because I was thinking to buy a 2-13 screen for my
(recently) acquired OM-4Ti and I don't know if the same problems as the OM-2
(in Auto mode) do appear...

I know pictures taken in auto mode will be correctly exposed in any case, but
I'd like to know if I can trust the viewfinder timing indication just before
shooting.

Does anyone have a hint?

Ciao!

Fabio