Re: [OM] Wallstreet Camera - was Bad deal :(

Subject: Re: [OM] Wallstreet Camera - was Bad deal :(
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 08:30:52 -0600
As a "foreigner" who's dealt with B&H Photo for the last twenty years, I cannot say enough good things about them. Virtually every retail outlet will disappoint customers occasionally, and you can always find a few negative comments about B&H on the various complaint sites, but these are likely very isolated gaffes.

B&H is a class act, and I've never hesitated to buy stuff from them. For the most part, it's been new Olympus equipment, but I've also purchased other brands of stuff (Vivitar and Polaroid, for example -- it's where I bought my SprintScan 4000). They have a great inventory-control system which allows their sales reps real-time info on the availability of any item, so you never get any bull about its availability over the phone. Their reps are obviously trying to finish calls quickly, but I've never had one get cranky about my asking valid questions. (I *do* try to make notes about what I want to ask before phoning them, though -- just good form.)

B&H also seems to understand quite a bit about how Canadian customs works, so they pack and ship to expedite matters. I'm assuming that this would be true for other destinations as well, but obviously I don't know.

My advice? Patronize B&H, and leave the other pretenders alone. You won't regret it.

Garth