Re: [OM] Junk or treasure (CORRECTION)

Subject: Re: [OM] Junk or treasure (CORRECTION)
From: Charles Sdunek <csdunek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 09:42:05 -0400

sorry...its not an 80mm, its a 135mm.

Well, not necessarily. If one becomes familiar with the flaw and it's effect, one can use it with control. For example, I have an 80mm optar lens for my graflex crow graphic that has a chip in the back element. If I focused and composed on the ground glass I could make some pretty impressive effects by allowing the light to flare in the chip and positioning it where I wanted in the photograph.

Of course it was a pain having a chip in the lens always making a mark on my negs, so I filled it with black ink so it no longer flared. It still makes a very small speck on my image, which isnt very noticeable. Just have to keep in mind where it is going to be so it doesnt end up on someones face or something (normal composition places it just off center on the bottom of the frame.

Charles