Re: [OM] Junk or treasure

Subject: Re: [OM] Junk or treasure
From: Charles Sdunek <csdunek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 10:34:54 -0400
Actually I was happy to have found a crown graphic 4x5 that was absolutely flawless except the chip in the lens (which I can replace for 100 bucks). I found it at a garage sale with a dozen film holders, A flash gun, light meter and a bunch of exacta stuff for $30.00

The chip isnt helpful, I just used it as an example of using a flawed lens artistically with control.

Charles

At 07:53 PM 10/4/02, you wrote:
>Of course it was a pain having a chip in the lens always making a mark on
my negs, so I filled it with black ink  so it no longer flared.  It still
makes a very small speck on my image, which isnt very noticeable.  Just have
to keep in mind where it is going to be so it doesnt end up on someones face
or something (normal composition places it  just off center on the bottom of
the frame.

Charles

I can't see how this chip is helpful then. If you want flare, you have to
compose around it. If you don't, you'll get it anyway, and as you say,
eventually you had enough of it and filled the chip I think I would prefer
to start with a perfect lens and make it flare when/if I ever wanted to (I'm
sure Mr. Cokin could help me out there)

Julian