Re: [OM] Rethinking the Olydak - morphed to scanner resolution

Subject: Re: [OM] Rethinking the Olydak - morphed to scanner resolution
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 08:02:18 -0400
Actually, I think my problem with "grain" has more to do with film selection and (especially) my digital processing and use of sharpening. I've just been scanning some Portra 160 NC and there's no visible "grain" until one gets down to the pixelation from the scanner. However, after I try to sharpen the image the pixelation becomes very visible at lower magnification. I think I just need some more practice and/or training in digital processing.

That said, while I don't print anything larger than 8x10 I do sometimes like to crop and enlarge so a higher resolution scan would be useful there. I'll have to keep my eye on ebay and see what shows up. However, the 24mm shift I just bought has probably eaten up my budget for the short term.

Chuck

om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
You might think about investing in a scanner that will produce better scans
that your Acer.  I've done scans on my SS4000 that have enlarged to 16x20
and they are great.  I paid $450 after the rebate.  They show up on Ebay
pretty cheap these days.