[OM] Good 35mm vs. digital

Subject: [OM] Good 35mm vs. digital
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 09:52:13 -0700
I am am tempering my enthusiasm for digital somewhat. I just got back from a trip to Montana for a nephew's wedding and went through Bishop going and coming so that I could visit the Mountain Light show room.

There are probably about a hundred or so enlargements of photos on display taken by Galen Rowell. There is one shot of the Sierras taken from Owens Valley that is enlarged to 32 inches by 48 inches that jumps off the wall it is so sharp and contrasty. The image does not really begin to go soft until you get about 2 feet away. It is really amazing what a 35mm camera and film can do. It would be interesting to see something similar from a digital camera.

I think this image really pushed the envelope. There are some images hanging that could not be pushed to that extreme but whose subject matter more than makes up for it. Kind of reassuring to know that he got variable results too.

According to the gallery person the images were scanned. Pretty amazing scanner.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California