Re: [OM] 50/1.4 MC serial#'s

Subject: Re: [OM] 50/1.4 MC serial#'s
From: Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 14:38:43 -0400
John L. wrote:

>It is obvious the second one was made after Olympus stopped
>marking their MC lenses with "MC" and the newer one has a pair
>of fixed tabs on the back to protect the rear element.

I usually accept everything John says as gospel and readily admit he
probably has forgotten more about the OM system than I will ever know.
But...is that REALLY what those mysterious protruberances are for?  On the
21/2 and even the 50/1.4, yeah, they could keep the rear element from
coming into contact with whatever surface an idiot or moron might set the
bare lens on back-end-down.  But on other lenses, such as the 65-200/4 or
the 35-80/2.8, the rear element is recessed far enough that these "horns"
wouldn't add much, if anything, in the way of protection.

So, they must be there for some purpose.  But what else could it be?  And,
no, I really don't think they're antennae for the black helicopters.  I
could be wrong.

Walt