Re: [OM] Anyone ever use Hoya's ND-400 filter

Subject: Re: [OM] Anyone ever use Hoya's ND-400 filter
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 22:58:18 +0200
This filter reduces light by 9 stops. Their main use is taking pictures of
the sun (with slow film), but they're also useful to make long exposures on
daylight scenes -- eg. for blurring people walking in front of a building.

If you plan to simulate night scenes, I think a 4 or 5 stops under-exposure
should be fine -- easy to do with ASA 25 film, you may need something like
an ND x8 filter (3 stops) with faster films.

BTW, one night there was a general power failure in the town I was living
in, and the only light source was the full moon. I took several pictures,
bracketing with exposures of 4, 16 and 64 seconds at F1.4 on Kodak E200
film...

...and results were almost unbelievable! The slides look EXACTLY like taken
at noon on a sunny day, with harsh shadows, etc. In fact, the only strange
thing you can see is the little star trails in the sky (!). If you want to
try, I think 30 sec, F1.4, ASA 200 is the right exposure.

Carlos Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<cjsantis@xxxxxxxx>