Re: [OM] OM-2sp service question

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2sp service question
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 14:17:39 -0700
I have a spare OM-2sp that I bought from a listie some long time ago. Since I didn't really need it it sat in a drawer for the first 3 or 4 months until I finally decided to run a roll of film through it. When I was using it I periodically noticed that I had difficulty winding it. The wind lever seemed to be jammed but after fussing about doing random things it would eventually wind on as though nothing happened. I installed new batteries toward the end of the roll and had no further problems. I attributed the problem to bad batteries and after removing the batteries for storage put the camera back in the drawer.

Now its been back in the drawer again for the past year. However, I'm seriously contemplating having my original 2sp CLA'd and so I took the other one out again today to try it out and limber it up. Since it didn't have batteries in it I couldn't resist trying it out on manual 1/60. It came to life immediately and fired off about six shots OK when all of a sudden I couldn't wind it. Like before I did a bunch of random, useless things and suddenly it was OK again. Well, clearly it wasn't batteries since none are required in manual. To make a long story short, after some experimentation I discovered:

If the camera is pointing face down or is upside down the wind lever is locked. If the camera is pointing face up or face forward the wind lever is free. What's the prognosis here? Do I have a loose screw or other part rolling around in the wind gears? I guess I could pull the bottom plate easily enough but I haven't attempted that yet.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA

Why don't you have the one in the drawer CLA'd? Your original would then be a working back up and you could get it serviced later.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California