Re: [OM] Junk or treasure

Subject: Re: [OM] Junk or treasure
From: Steve Goss <stevegoss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 23:26:08 -0500
AG Schnozz wrote:

How do you define "QUALITY" in a lens?
When is a flawed lens NOT a flawed lens?  Is haze on an element
necessarily a bad thing?  Where does character come in?

-----snip------

Which brings me to my point of discussion.  When is a flaw in a
lens actually a benefit?

AG-Schnozz

When is a flaw a benefit? Primarily when it brings the price down to where I can afford it.

I think it would be interesting to do some controlled tests. In the interests of science I'll be glad to offer the following:
135mm f2.8 (light fungus)
135mm f3.5 (haze)
50mm f1.4 silver nose (physically abused by a previous owner)
The recently discussed 50mm f3.5macro (still has some rotted foam between the elements) 24mm f2.8 (which I keep having to open and reconnect the aperture connections on)

Early semi-scientific measurements indicate that as bad as the lenses may be, they still have more resolution than my scanner.

P.S. My upcoming Tope 11 entry was done with the 24, and scanned by the new local WalMart grocery store.

Thanks, Steve Goss, Dallas Tx usa