Re: [OM] 35mm film lost the battle against digital ?

Subject: Re: [OM] 35mm film lost the battle against digital ?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 23:36:01 -0500
At 21:02 10/6/02, you wrote:
I will agree on the noise, yes DC is less grainy. But as with my test
made before I think film still has higher resolution than a 11MP DC
but you will need a good 4000dpi scanner or microscope to see. On the
other hand I will agree 10MP will be good enough for most situation.

C.H.Ling

It's capable of acceptable 8x10 at 300 dpi, **if** it's printed on a high end dye sublimation printer. These are not inexpensive. I've seen what results from other types of consumer "photo" printers at 300dpi. Inkjet (or bubble jet) requires much higher resolution than dye sublimation to achieve the similar results. Inks are expensive and "per print" costs are still higher than I can have done by a pro lab. I remain skeptical about archival qualities of digital prints too (dye sublimation, inkjet, bubblejet, etc.). There has been some improvement recently, but is it enough yet?

-- John