Re: [OM] Vivitar 75-205mm Lens with potential problem.

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar 75-205mm Lens with potential problem.
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 13:31:01 +0200
It is a fault, but maybe just a problem with the DOF button. Try setting
the lens to f22 and moving one of the two levers on the back of the lens
mount. If the lens stops down OK, it is just a DOF button problem.

Roger Key

Hi Guys,

I'm after a little advice from all of you regarding the above lens.  The
specific details are :

Vivitar 75-205mm; 1:3.8;  MC;  Macro Focusing Zoom;  No.22205xxx;  62mm
Filter Thread;

(all read from the front element surround)

Firstly, what I understand (may or may not be correct !):

With all OM and OM Fit lenses, pressing the DOF preview button causes the
iris to close to whatever f no the lens is set to.

Now the problem ....

With this presumption in mind, I now hold the lens up to the light (not
mounted on the camera).  I can see straight through it.  No sign of an
iris.
Next I hold down the DOF Preview button and adjust the F-stop dial.  From
max. (f3.8) to min. (f22).  STILL no sign of an iris.

Now, this doesn't seem quite right to me.  This suggests that whatever I
set
the lens to, the shot will always be taken with f3.8.  Can someone confirm
for me whether this is a fault, or whether I have missed something obvious
here !!  If it's a fault, I assume it wouldn't be advisable to attempt a
repair myself ?  I am pretty competent with engineering, especially tiny
stuff, but I know little about lenses and their internal construction.  And
it's not my lens - it's my Dad's !!  Boy am I going to be in trouble !!

Anyway, any help gratefully received.

Regards,

Jon