Re: [OM] 35mm film lost the battle against digital ?

Subject: Re: [OM] 35mm film lost the battle against digital ?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 10:13:45 -0700
"...I'm afraid that film has definitively lost the battle. The (Canon)1Ds's full-frame 11MP CMOS sensor produces a 32MB file - as big as a typical scan. But this file is sharper and more noise free than any scan I have ever seen, including drum scans. There simply isn't a contest any longer..."

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/1ds/1ds-field-5.shtml

-Tim

I might have agreed a few weeks ago before I saw a couple of 32 inch by 48 inch prints of scanned slides taken by Galen Rowell which were beautiful, sharp, colorful, contrasty and free of noticeable scanning artifacts. They were astonishing and, I am sure, had file sizes much larger than 32MB.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California