Re: [OM] Strange meter in my OM-1n

Subject: Re: [OM] Strange meter in my OM-1n
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 10:53:27 -0700
With the meter off, and therefore no current flowing in the circuit, movement in the meter can only be caused by the coupling arangements. Moving the film speed dial physically rotates the base of the galvanometer, as does changing aperture and shutter speed. This implies that the settings which centre the meter under these conditions is the absolute minumum limit of possible measurement for the meter (ie no current from the CdS cells). When the meter is swithched on, the Cds cells become active, and the meter needle will deflect upwards in proportion to the current. In that case the reading should match the OM4 (ish). Never tried this myself, so I don't know if 10 stops is the right answer.

Julian

I am surprised that there would be movement. Most better cameras of the era physically locked down the meter movement when switched off to avoid shock damage to the delicate jewelled movement. Did the OM1N meter have some special design that protected it from damage?
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California