Re: [OM] 35mm film lost the battle against digital ?

Subject: Re: [OM] 35mm film lost the battle against digital ?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 13:13:26 -0500
At 23:16 10/6/02, C.H. Ling wrote:
There is also no Zuiko can reach 120lpmm not to mention together with film, forget about it.

The lowly single-coated 50/1.8 F.Zuiko tests out at 100 lppmm. That equates to 200 pixels per linear millimeter. Having owned one that was in mint condition until I sold it 20 years later, **all** my other Zuiko lenses have noticeably exceeded it. The only lens combination that achieved less was a dirt-cheap, no-name, generic two-element 2X teleconverter on the back of a single-coated 75-150/4 Zuiko Zoom. No small surprise there given the lack of optical quality in the generic 2X TC.

The resolution of Velvia 160lpmm is measured at 1000:1 contrast different, at 1.6:1 it is only 80lpmm.

This is it's approximate rating by Fuji and why I backed off to about 120 lppmm. The nearly 50 year old Carl Zeiss Sonnar is more than capable of this; not alone using aerial measurements, but as a practical system with its camera body. It's what I've been able to achieve using exceptional care with camera shake and focusing. It has been a learning curve to get above the 80-100 lppmm barrier, but was necessary to produce 11x16 fine prints that can withstand extremely close scrutiny and not find lens/film limits. I can take a 5X loupe to them and find additional detail that cannot be discerned by the unaided eye at 12 inches.

Don't ask me to do a calculation, just based on my experience on the E-10 and microscope analysis (yes, it is a Olympus... MPlan 10x, much much better than any projection lens on earth) of some test slides, I would say a 20MP will be equal to the best 35mm film system. Ok, just a guess.

I've done too much large screen projection of 35mm Provia and Kodachrome slides to accept 20MP equating 35mm film systems. That's less than the 25MP size of a pro photo CD image, which is still about half the linear resolution (a fourth of the areal resolution) of an original Kodachrome 25, Kodachrome 64 or Provia 100F slide. Breaking the 80-100 lppmm barrier requires care in making the image, excellent lenses, high resolution film and an excellent projection system to see it. Dropping down to 100 lppmm creates a 35MP system.

20MP is about 75 lppmm. A 1.6:1 contrast ratio is the bottom end of contrast; 1000:1 is the top end. Nearly all practical photographs have detail levels with edge contrasts that fall between these; usually toward the upper end in at least some region of it. If the lens/film resolution isn't there, it cannot capture it. Same applies to the CCD! I estimate it requires a 35MP digital to equal a good 35mm film system (100 lppmm), a 50-68MP digital to equal an excellent one (120-140 lppmm), and 85-90MP to overtake a "world-class" 35mm system (160 lppmm at current film upper limits).

The basic presumption is users of said systems, digital and film, will take requisite care with making photographs to optimize system capabilities. Introduce the same degradation for hand-held camera, auto-focus error and less than stellar lens, and the system, digital or film, is easily down to 40-50 lppmm. Heap on a horridly coarse-grain film like Kodak Gold 100 and it degrades much further. Gold 200 and 400 are even worse. Film *does* make a difference, as much as lens optics, focus accuracy and camera shake mitigation. Remember also, that to optimize resolution of this Can*n 11MP DC, the user must deliberately choose to make 32MB files with it. How often will that happen? How will the user handle mega-file management if it's full resolution is used continuously? Is it practical for the task(s) at hand?

Be cautious about DC claims. I've traced some back through reverse engineering print sizes and maximum resolutions only to find the claims are based on depth of field limits, and hyperfocal focusing, often using a Circle of Confusion of 0.030-0.033mm when 0.025mm would be much more appropriate for the print sizes being touted. This is Bad Science. I *can* tell the difference if someone makes an 8x10 (or 8x12) using hyperfocal focusing based on circle of confusion diamteters greater than 0.025mm. Old adage: "Figures don't lie, but . . . "

-- John