Re: [OM] Failing meter?

Subject: Re: [OM] Failing meter?
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 20:41:06 +0200
Unlike the OTF metering for normal Auto, the Spot metering of the OM-4(T)
is much less sensitive. As I stated for the OM-1n behaviour, that settings
were out from the (spot) meter's range.

In the case of the OM-4T, the range starts two stops below that of the
OM-1, so with ASA 100 and lens wide open it would work at 2 seconds or
shorter exposures. ASA 3200 film won't allow exposure times longer than
1/15 s. In fact, my OM-4 at ASA 3200 shows 1/8... with the lens cap on! --
and your's seem to do the same.

Of course, if you stop down the lens, you can get longer times -- that's
the only way to get the promised 4 minutes on Spot mode!

The average meter uses OTF during exposure, which allows exposures of a
couple of minutes with high speed films even wide open (if the scene is
dark enough), but for viewfinder indications the setup is quite similar to
the spot metering, so low-light metering limit is much higher.

Carlos Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<cjsantis@xxxxxxxx>