Re: [OM] 35mm film lost the battle against digital ?

Subject: Re: [OM] 35mm film lost the battle against digital ?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 15:57:31 -0700
 > ....Might many peple not say its good enough and then jump to
digital? To the
 naked eye, is the difference still obvious?...

Let's look at some historical examples.

-People dropped record albums in favor of 8 track or cassette tape. I
took 20 years  catching up to where we were with LP's
-People dropped 8mm movie cameras for video. We still have a few years
to go before even digital video catches up.
-Now people are ditching film cameras for digital...

Looks to me like we're about to take another two steps back.

Mike

--
Latitude 48° 32' North, Longitude 123° 7' West

Some might argue with your chronologies.  8 track and cassettes were
portable formats unlike LPs.  They never replaced LPs, they
supplemented them.  8 tracks essentially replaced 45s and later
expanded. Cassettes were a better technology and essentially beat out
8 track and late in its development a large cassette based album
market for popular music developed largely because they could be
played in the car, in the home or on a portable unit .  The digital
CD essentially replaced them both and was a striking improvement over
both.

Some commercial movies are digital from start to finish including
projection and they look great.  The home variety is what shoots your
local cop shows on television with, to my eye, superior quality to
8mm movie film.

It is still early, but a year and a half ago a 4 MP CCD camera was
state of the art.  Now the 8 MP models are about to superceded by 11
MP.  20 MP will probably be here by the end of next year.  It may not
be a step back.  Current models are already satisfactory to the uses
most owner put them to.

I admit I am probably slipping into geezerism when I think that I
just don't want to screw around a few years getting comfortable with
digital photography and automatic cameras when I can  get by with
film for as long as I want to take pictures.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California