RE: [OM] Re: 35mm film lost the battle against digital ? NO WAY

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: 35mm film lost the battle against digital ? NO WAY
From: William Clark <wclark@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 11:36:49 -0400
No so fast about film leaving (Sony just ended support for Beta don't
forget).

Here is something very, very telling:

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/corp/pressCenter/presentations/2002annual
Mtg.shtml

It is Kodak's shareholder's meeting.  Summary:

 "Nearly 85 billion film exposures were made last year.

 525 million households worldwide own at least one film camera. That
 compares to about 29 million households which own at least one
 digital still camera.

 U.S. film sales grew despite the recession.

 Kodak sees great growth potential for film in both U.S. and global
 markets. Expanding the benefits of film is Kodak's #1 strategic
 goal. "

Film is here to stay as digital costs (printer, ink, a GOOD camera) are too
expensive for most.  P&S for email seem to rule the day.  People said VHS
would die 10 yrs ago with DVD, it hasn't.  Either has paper banking.  People
are far too quick to predict the demise of a product, and are usually wrong.
Happens all the time in marketting.

Hey, people predicted Survior would never last!!!!!

-Bill